Thursday, April 28, 2011

Jenga 7.3: friendly assessment

During studio, we were each assigned one hour of first year studio final presentations to review. I chose to review Caitlyn Whisenant and her take on a writer's residence. Overall, I think Caitlyn was successful in communicating her ideas clearly, constantly referring to her drawings. Her concept of theatre, allowed for many opportunities to enhance the space. I thought her attention to the hearth as the focal point was a smart decision to remain true to original character in the building. Her choice in a raised ceiling in this area added to the dramatic effect of this congregated space, while private spaces had a lower ceiling to achieve a more intimate feel. I think her project stood out most to me in this one hour was because of her attention to detail.

However, with the idea of theatre in a writer's setting, I think the manipulation of light could have been incorporated more. Without specific lighting, theatre would not have the drama or effects it has. Especially with this area being a writing residence, light is an important aspect. I think this specific detail was overlooked. With more attention to light and shadows, perspective drawings would look more realistic.

Overall, I think Caitlyn did a great job in presenting her take on a writer's residence. Special attention to details will continue in her design being successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment