Thursday, January 20, 2011

WI 2

When I first drew the word “kiss” from the cup my mind went straight to literal. The color red, x’s and o’s, and the “Mae West Lips” chair. It is funny how our mind will associate one thing with another so quickly. To erase all of these typical ideas out of my head, I started to compose a list of words or ideas that come with a kiss. A kiss to me means a seal, or almost touching. There is also a strong cultural aspect associated with a kiss. Intimacy, building relationships, and touch were thoughts that kept racing through my head. Rather than automatically coming up with a floor plan and figuring out where the sink would go, I had to remind my self to think of form. These forms would relate to the emotions one feels with a kiss. My first emotion I wanted to portray was the spark or the anticipation one feels before a kiss. I decided to have a hallway guide one down the space which would build anticipation for what would be around the corner. This hallway barely touches the remaining walls, varying in height. As you come around the corner, the living is on one side while the kitchen remains on the other side. A loft helps to separate the bathroom from living space and also allows the intimate space to be saved for last.


Another idea which was proposed was “sun-kissed.” At first I did not care for this idea. I just could not seem to think of any form or interesting moment which would take place in the space. I decided to write my first narrative about this space, hoping it may formulate any ideas. Surprisingly, this narrative allowed me to visualize the space and design a space that felt exotic and relaxing. Much like sun rays that pour in and play off of surfaces, I thought of the beach and how the warmth of the sun seems to wrap around you. I thought to have the ceiling gradually rise in a curve shape as you walk further into the room. The light will play off the surface of the ceiling differently at every point and guide you to the bed at the end to create a sense of serenity and relaxation.


The third space explores the kiss within friendships and families. A strong sense of relationships and bonding supports the emotion behind this type of kiss. This helped to formulate my idea for the solids within the space. As one walks into the space, two solids divide the room into the kitchen, living, and sleeping areas. These solids are continuous stacking a rectilinear shapes that bond together to create areas of sitting, a bed, cabinetry, and eating. The rectilinear shape speaks to the bond which occurs in families and friendships because it is a strong shape. It appears it will hold the weight of something else without collapsing. This idea is important in a kiss seen in friendships and families. The kiss signifies that trust and sincere love occurs. These two solids do not touch the remaining walls but sit more towards the middle of the space. The center reveals importance and unity. A kiss can unify two people and show the bond that two people have for each other. A kiss is not only significant in intimate relationships but also in families and friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment