Tuesday, February 2, 2010

3 Vignettes

For this assignment, we were asked to draw three vignettes where a person is interacting with an object. I decided to draw a city scene. Instead of drawing three ccompletely differnt scenes, I chose to draw the same city block. In each vignette it is a different view of this block. I had recently watched West Side Story which was my inspiration for the colors and overall look. I wanted each vignette to have a story in itself and bit of questioning to what the person might be saying on the telephone or what's written in the letter.
I like the idea of a city where there can be so many people gathered but each person is on a different mission. For this particular scene, I decided to draw the back of a man talking on the telephone. You see the mailbox in the distance which is important in the next drawing.
Here you see the telephone booth in the background. I tried drawing a side profile of a woman putting a letter in the mailbox. I tried to focus on the light hitting the mailbox as well as the girl's height being proportional to her head size and her surrounding's.
In this last vignette, I chose to draw two people conversing at cafe. Again, it's another view from the city block where you can see the mailbox in the background. Their skin color came out a little yellowish. Overall, I think I could work on minimizing the use of color and focus more on shading using watercolor. I learned that white space can sometimes be helpful in enhancing the composition.


1 comment:

  1. These scenes are not only complete but they have a great atmosphere to them. There is a story here. Write about these scenes and let us in on your technique and what you learned.

    ReplyDelete